The Ontario Real Estate Salesperson Program—Delivered by Humber College
The OREA College closed in June 2021. Everyone seeking a real estate license in the Province of Ontario will now complete all required courses through Humber College. Find out more about the Humber College Real Estate Salesperson Program. Passit offers comprehensive study guides to help you pass each pre-registration exam.
Here’s some basic info you need to know about the new education program to become registered as a real estate salesperson in Ontario:
1. Prerequisites To Apply
2. Course Curriculum
Humber College provides a detailed learning path. Here’s a brief summary of what you need to know:
- There are a total of seven courses to complete the pre-registration portion of the program:
- Course 1: Real Estate Essentials (online)
- Course 2: Residential Real Estate Transactions (online)
- Course 3: Additional Residential Real Estate Transactions (online)
- Simulation 1: Additional Residential Real Estate Transactions (in-person or Zoom class)
- Course 4: Commercial Real Estate Transactions (online)
- Simulation 2: Commercial Real Estate Transactions (in-person or Zoom class)
- Course 5: Getting Started (online)
- The simulation sessions are mandatory in-person classes. Note: Due to COVID-19 all simulation sessions are currently running as online classes on Zoom.
- Each simulation session can either be completed in one week (Monday to Friday) or 2-3 consecutive weekends.
- Class sizes will range from 12 to 24 students.
- During the simulation sessions, you will spend your time between the full group and various breakout rooms for role-play activities. Your attendance and participation is required for each day (9 – 5, with a 1-hour break for lunch).
- There are a total of six exams (each course has an associated exam, except Course 5: Getting Started).
- All exams are multiple choice (one answer only) and the minimum passing score is 75%.
- Due to COVID-19 most exams are online only. As restrictions ease, more in-person exams will resume. Currently, a limited number of in-person exams are being written at the Humber College (North Campus) Exam Centre.
4. Program Fees
- The total minimum cost for the Salesperson Real Estate Program is $4,160.
- Fees are paid for each course as you progress through the program.
- There’s some extra costs to consider:
- $75 Program Application Fee (mandatory)
- $100 Exam Retake Fee (only if you fail an exam and need a re-write)
- $50 Simulation Assessment Retake Fee (only if you need to retake a simulation session).
- $120-$280 for optional add-on support for Courses 2, 3 and 4 (classroom or virtual)
- The full breakdown is available here.
5. Time Commitment
- Highly dependent on you, as much of the program is self-directed.
- Humber provides recommended course completion times to keep you on track.
- The pre-registration phase could be completed in as few as 6 months or as long as 2 years.
- Once the pre-registration phase is complete you submit an application to RECO for registration as a real estate salesperson. You then have 2 years to complete the post-registration phase.
- Timelines may be impacted by the availability of simulation sessions and exams.
6. Program Start Date
- Applications to the new Real Estate Salesperson Program opened on July 4, 2019. You must make an application to the program before you can register for the first course. This post provides additional details about how to get registered in the program.
- Do your research! You will find these resources helpful:
When you’re ready to get started, remember that there are accurate, helpful, easy-to-follow online study guides available to help you prepare for each exam! Not sure if this will help? Check out what other Ontario real estate students had to say!