The New Ontario Real Estate Salesperson Program
This post is a consolidation of key details currently available for the new Real Estate Salesperson Program launching later this year by RECO in association with Humber College. We’ll keep this up-to-date as details are announced.
Jul 4 2019: Applications are now open for the new Humber Real Estate Salesperson Program (courses will start at the end of August).
June 30 2019: Prerequisites for the new program (including high school diploma equivalency details) are now available.
May 27 2019: As there is a gap between the closure of OREA registrations and the start of Humber registrations it'll be important to have new program details ASAP. We've created an alert list so you can receive an email notification as soon as registration details are available, sign up here.
Apr 17 2019: Preliminary program details are becoming available. Registration for the new program will open in July, with the first course starting in September, 2019.
Feb 25 2019: RECO hosted a one-hour webinar to share program details. Unfortunately, many critical questions still remain unanswered (e.g.,locations, fees and program start date).
Here’s some basic info you need to know about the new education program to become registered as a real estate salesperson in Ontario:
Prerequisites To Apply
- Five courses, all delivered online:
- Real Estate Essentials
- Residential Real Estate Transactions
- Additional Residential Transactions
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Getting Started
- Two mandatory in-person simulation sessions (after Courses 3 and 4).
- Each simulation session can either be completed in one week (Monday to Friday) or two consecutive weekends.
- Class sizes will range from 12 to 24 students.
- Sessions will include an in-person assessment of skills. No further details available.
FiveFour exams, all in-person. The final exam is a cumulative exam covering the entire program.The most recent update from RECO indicates there will not be a cumulative exam at the end of the pre-registration phase.
Exam & Simulation Session Locations
- Humber College (North Campus), Etobicoke
- Other locations in Ontario (not yet established)
- The total cost for the Salesperson Real Estate Program is $4,360. There’s some extra costs to consider:
- $75 Program Application Fee (mandatory)
- $100 Exam Retake Fee (only if you fail an exam and need a re-write)
- $50 Simulation Assessment Retake Fee (only if you need to retake a simulation session).
- $120/$280 for optional add-on support (classroom or virtual)
- The full breakdown is available here.
- Highly dependent on you, as much of the program is self-directed.
- Could be completed in as few as 6 months or as long as 2 years.
- Schedules/timelines are not yet available for in-person simulation sessions and exams.
Program Start Date
- Registration for the new program opened July 4th, 2019, with the first course scheduled to begin in September, 2019.
- If you start your salesperson program with OREA, you must finish with OREA.
- If you complete the salesperson program with OREA, you will be able to complete the broker program with Humber. Information about the new broker program is not yet available.
Passit Editor’s Note: The September, 2019 start date may result in a backlog of students when live program delivery actually begins. Also, the estimated minimum of 6 months for completion could be impacted by the availability of classes for the mandatory, in-person simulation sessions. Registration in the current OREA program is only open until April 30, 2019. Getting started in the current program is a solid option, if you want to avoid the risk of potential delays with the new program.