The New Ontario Real Estate Salesperson Program
This post is a consolidation of key details currently available for the new Real Estate Salesperson Program launching later this year by RECO in association with Humber College. We’ll keep this up-to-date as details are announced.
May 27 2019: As there is a gap between the closure of OREA registrations and the start of Humber registrations it'll be important to have new program details ASAP. We've created an alert list so you can receive an email notification as soon as registration details are available, sign up here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/i/2A4423E721E2A596
Apr 17 2019: Preliminary program details are becoming available. Registration for the new program will open in July, with the first course starting in September, 2019.
Feb 25 2019: RECO hosted a one-hour webinar to share program details. Unfortunately, many critical questions still remain unanswered (e.g.,locations, fees and program start date).
Here’s some basic info you need to know about the new education program to become registered as a real estate salesperson in Ontario:
Prerequisites To Apply
- Secondary School Diploma; or
- GED Certificate; or
- Equivalent credential; or
- Challenge an admission exam
- Five courses, all delivered online:
- Real Estate Essentials
- Residential Real Estate Transactions
- Additional Residential Transactions
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Getting Started
- Two mandatory in-person simulation sessions (after Courses 3 and 4).
- Each simulation session can either be completed in one week (Monday to Friday) or two consecutive weekends.
- Class sizes will range from 12 to 24 students.
- Sessions will include an in-person assessment of skills. No further details available.
- Five exams, all in-person. The final exam is a cumulative exam covering the entire program.
Exam & Simulation Session Locations
- Humber College (North Campus), Etobicoke
- Other locations in Ontario (not yet established)
- Unknown. The current OREA program is a minimum of $3,580. RECO previously commented that the new fees will be similar, but as of the Feb 25th webinar, the fees have not yet been set.
- Specifics unknown. Anticipated 250-300 hours to complete the program.
- Could be completed in as few as 6 months or as long as 2 years.
Program Start Date
- Registration for the new program will start in July, with the first course starting in September, 2019.
- If you start your salesperson program with OREA, you must finish with OREA.
- If you complete the salesperson program with OREA, you will be able to complete the broker program with Humber. Information about the new broker program is not yet available.
Passit Editor’s Note: The September, 2019 start date may result in a backlog of students when live program delivery actually begins. Also, the estimated minimum of 6 months for completion could be impacted by the availability of classes for the mandatory, in-person simulation sessions. Registration in the current OREA program is only open until April 30, 2019. Getting started in the current program is a solid option, if you want to avoid the risk of potential delays with the new program.